Apply Now for the 2018 Outstanding Student of the Year Award!
Each year, the C2SMART Center acknowledges one student from any of its member institutions as a Student of the Year as chosen by the Center’s executive leadership committee. The chosen student will be acknowledged and awarded:
- Cash prize of $1,000 and a certificate from USDOT
- The cost of attendance (includes travel, lodging expenses, and registration fees) for the 2019 98th Annual TRB Meeting in Washington, DC from January 13-17, 2019
- Free registrations to the Council of University Transportation Centers Banquet for the student and one guest (note: award does not cover travel/lodging expenses of student’s personal guest)
Selection will be based upon accomplishments in three areas: Technical Merit and Research Capability, Academic Performance, and Leadership. The following minimum requirements must also be met:
- Eligible candidates must have received financial support from the Center prior to receiving the award.
- Eligible candidates must have completed with a grade of B or better at least 12 hours of graduate course work at the time the selection is made, and have a graduate GPA in excess of 3.25 (out of 4.00).
- Eligible candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Eligible candidates must be available to attend the CUTC banquet on January 12, 2019 in Washington, DC.
To apply, students must complete the application form, providing detailed answers to each of the specified questions. The responses should not exceed the provided length of the form (maximum of 2 pages). The student should also include the following attachments to the application:
- Academic transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
- Resume and biographical sketch
- Nomination letter from at least one faculty member
- Copy of paper(s) written by the nominee (if applicable), including a short description of the student’s contribution to the paper
Once complete, the application form and attachments should be submitted electronically returned as a single PDF with the student’s last name followed by institution (e.g. Name_NYU.pdf) via email to their institution’s Center-affiliated director by the prescribed deadline of October 31, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted, and there are no exceptions to this rule. The award winner will be notified by the Center by late November 2018.
The Center-affiliated directors for each of the participating institutions are:
C2SMART's 2017 Outstanding Student of the Year
Matthew Vechione, a doctoral student in the University of Texas at El Paso’s College of Engineering, was named C2SMART’s 2017 Outstanding Student of the Year. Vechione has been working with Kelvin Cheu, a professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at UTEP, on one of C2SMART’s current projects. The goal of the project is to develop a smartphone mobility app that caters to the specific needs of seniors.